Monday, July 9, 2012

Belle's Big, Scary Weekend


Meet Belle. She is my fur-sister. I think Belle can thank Lola for warming my mom up to indoor pets. Growing up I was always told I couldn't have an indoor pet. Of course that never stopped me from sneaking my rabbits inside the house for the day or even sneaking indoor pets, such as gerbils and hamsters, into my room. But somehow things changed and my parents bought Belle. Belle is the tiniest littlest dog in my life and I often ask her if she is even real because of how small she is! Her small size is made up for by her BIG personality and her LARGE amount of energy! She is also probably the only dog that Graham will play with. They seem to be the definition of BFF.

Tiny little Belle

Belle is a Morkie, just like Graham. You can tell from her looks though that she picked up more Yorkie then Graham did. The Yorkie in Belle was able to teach us this weekend that Yorkie's can have liver troubles. It started Friday night when I got a call from my mom. They were playing with Belle when she suddenly got sick. Really, really, really sick.When I first talked to my mom they had been waiting in the vet's waiting room for 30 minutes and had had no news. She said Belle was barely clinging on during the car ride to the vet. I couldn't even imagine seeing my dog the way my mom described what had happened with Belle. She was fine one minute and the next minute was throwing up. Belle began to seizure and then just went limp. After 3 hours in the vet clinic's waiting room, my parents found out it had something to do with Belle's liver. 

Is that a bill goat?? No, It's Belle!
My parents learned over the weekend that Belle's liver wasn't functioning properly and her body was basically poisoning it's self. A MRI was scheduled for today, Monday, to let them know just what was wrong with the liver. They faced two options, either a problem with a shunt that would require surgery or something that could be taken care of with medications. I got a call tonight that Belle is home and won't need the surgery, however she is on a special diet and will need to take 3 pills a day for the rest of her life to make sure everything functions properly.

It's hard to get a good pic of Graham and Belle!

I'm glad Belle is doing better and her problem was fixable. I try to prepare myself for the time when Lola and Graham won't be able to be with me any longer, but it helps to know I still have many many years with them. It's hard to hear about fur babies that are so sick at such a young age. Loosing a dog is hard no matter what, but loosing a dog after a couple years is a different type of hard then living a full life with them. I'm glad my parents were able to avoid that situation. I am also glad they were able to get her the help she needed in the a timely matter. I would of missed my lil fur-sister and I have no idea what Graham would of done with out his friend.
A weekend visit to the parents results in some VERY tired puppies!

No comments:

Post a Comment